9 August 2008

yes...no...maybe...stop!


Finished?

I am not a cartoonist.
I am not a pen and wash artist.
I am not a mixed media painter.

I am having to walk away from this, resolutely. The longer I stay and fiddle with it, the more likely I am to make a mistake.

It was never intended to be more than a light-hearted record of the occasion. It was entirely my own idea to do a cartoon. I was going to keep it clean and simple. When will I ever learn?

Call it finished, and take it to its new home.

Be what you are, not what you think you ought to be.

I am... a watercolourist who paints in washes.
I am a painter of ideas, not things.

It is time...
Time to be who I am, to paint what I feel.

I learn a lot, painting for other people. I will still paint commissions, Zacchi needs to eat.
But now, in all things, to be true to myself...

Whew!

******************

It just occurred to me now that at New Year when I was in Scotland I received a greetings text from the family I have sketched above. I have it still.

They had written, very carefully in English, "To open the door of happiness, you need the right kay. Happy New Year".

I have been "flying solo" for two and a half years. I am still learning who Kay is. Each day is the beginning of a new year. A calendar is only numbers on paper.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Raghav said...

i like the painting!
and the thought that goes with it

Kay said...

Thankyou Raghav. I have just taken the sketch up to friends, who recognised the people in it instantly. That has given me the confidence to give the gift to the family.

I enjoyed browsing your blog.