2 August 2008

finished... or not?



I am fiddling. I have to finish this today, and varnish her as well. I am not sure that she is finished. I have the challenge of working from several photographs, none being exactly what I want to paint.

I wanted to leave this in a more simple style, but I keep changing things... the tip of the nose, the lips... the photographs were very "whited out", quite artistic and dramatic, but not helpful for likenesses. I wonder also if I am unconsciously painting the nose to conform to my own idea of beauty, so I will check again with angles and distances before I do too much more.

If I had stopped a two days ago and left her more stylised I might have been better off. I guess that try as you might, you really can't subjugate your own style unless you are doing a deliberate copy of something, or the altered style, rather than the portrait, is the main goal.

Finished? Yes, I think so. I think I am having a problem with the prettiness of the colours, I like things to be much stronger, with more contrast. I will stop now, before I do any real damage!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like it.

Kay said...

So did the purchaser (like it), he said it is a good likeness and he went away happily. I hope the subject of the portrait likes it too.