5 August 2008

feathered friends

Tomorrow I part with some works that are going to London, hopefully to be sold by the NZ Society to raise funds to save the rarest plover in the world, Thinornis Novæ Zealandiæ — the New Zealand Shore Plover. (Photo from DOC media release 18 January 2008).

Artists are frequently asked to donate paintings for worthy causes. Often I am tempted to ask "Are you donating three weeks of YOUR salary too?" of the person who thinks they are doing you a favour by asking for donations of your work, but I never say "No". In this case I volunteered: yes, it is a good cause, but truthfully the chance to exhibit with other New Zealanders in London was too good to turn down.

If you are in Mayfair between 1 September and 10 October do pop in and let me know how it all looks. Mine will be the tiny works, 4 inches by 8 inches, not at all conspicuous.

I hate parting with some works; it will hurt letting these ones go.

.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's so beautiful that you did this.
I had several charity auctions I wanted to give works to in July but...as you know...my mind and life got sidetracked a bit.

Love you!

Sophia Elise said...

Hi Kay, That is fantastic!! Feels so funny to be exhibiting together - half way accross the world - having never met - only exchanging emails. I know at least 5 other NZ Artists exhibiting too (all NZ Art Guild members). I totally understand what you mean about artists being asked for donations frequently - I, like you, never say no - but occasionally do want to ask who else is giving up that much of their income? If you make it over there - take some photos for us artists back in NZ. :-) Sophia