29 August 2008

Facebook: love it or hate it

Facebook: love it or hate it, eventually most of us use it.

I joined to stay in closer touch with my children, one of whom promptly left it declaring that it was far too time-consuming. She is right.

Unfortunately, before she left it, she got me me playing Scrabulous, and I was very soon addicted. Now Scrabulous (you naughty copyright infringer) has gone. Very occasionally I check Facebook to see what family and friends are doing. Thank goodness it notifies my gmail account if someone sends me a message.

Recently Sophia Elise began using it for the NZ Art Guild. I like such links, I can see a lot of sense in that. What does worry me is how easily I can follow personal links (yes, I tested soon after I joined) and find out what other people are doing. Now from a blog writer that might be a little odd, but I know, as I write this, that anyone can read it. From what some Facebook readers write on their pages, I am sure they have no idea how easily others can access what they have written for their friends. The two occasions when I have idly followed links to people I know I have ended up feeling uncomfortable, as though I have opened a door uninvited. My former students can relax, I don't check up on them. Future employers might, though!

Today I received an invitation which I accepted without hesitation. Yesterday a Facebook group was established (from London) for the Monte Cassino Foundation for Remembrance and Reconciliation. We have three members. Let's make it more. The link is:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25384802871&ref=mf

The internet shrinks the world. It is so easy for international projects to be shared. The Monte Cassino Stiftung has its website in three languages.

For now we are waiting on the dates for the official commemorations in Cassino in May 2009, the end of the four battles for Cassino. These commemorations are about peace and unity as much as commemoration. If they are not also about peace, then so many died for nothing.


.

No comments: