4 August 2008

inspired

This morning at 6.15 Zacchi and I went walking. We have been sleeping in lately and it has been too hot to walk later, well into the 30s and dropping to a mere 29 by 9pm. It was great. All our friendly morning walkers greeted us with the Italian equivalent of "long time no see". We had to confess to sleeping in other mornings.

Zacchi is getting much better at going for short sprints then coming back to the leash. It is still too dangerous to let him free too much, some traffic is fast. We both enjoyed the outing, and promised not to lapse again.

While waiting to make a call from the computer I idly checked the photographs from the Oceania Games (just finished in Townsville, Australia). What an inspiration! I missed myself being there (how does the Jim Reeves song go? I missed me at your place last night?) Masters athletes meetings (support crew only) had become a habit. It was good to see the familiar faces from the New Zealand team.

There is a fabulous shot of Margaret Peters flying, feet nowhere near touching the track. Last year at the World Masters Games she was described as New Zealand masters athletes "golden girl of the sprints". There was a similar photo of Dad in Riccione, Italy, last year. If I can have half of Margaret's energy and passion for life when I catch up with her age group (W70) I will be doing well. I can do it, with a Dad like mine it must be in my genes somewhere, just well hidden for now!

Tomorrow morning, Zacchi, we are up with the sparrows and jogging!

(Was that a tui I heard?)
.

No comments: