8 August 2008

too much

Today I am working on a family portrait, in a cartoon style, to record the fiftieth birthday I went to recently. I am enjoying the project, it is my gift to a lovely family, but it is quite literally a pain!

On top of the recent flurry of paintings I have been spending too long at the computer, working on other things, and now have RSI in my elbow, if that can happen. We called it "tennis elbow" when I was a child, although this is in a slightly different place from the tennis elbow I got when I helped Dad to paint the cool room for the milk tank. When milk tankers arrived in Wairoa we stopped keeping pigs and sent the whole milk to the factory, not just the cream. It was a big change in our lives at the time.

I had elbow problems again two years ago, clearing rubbish and carting bucket loads of it to the bins here when I moved into my house. My body says I do need a holiday...

Pigs, Jersey cows, rich cream straight from the cowshed (the best!) carried home in a chipped enamel mug... feeding calves before going to school, sleeping fully dressed and hoping Mum didn't notice so I didn't have to feel the cold when I got up to help Dad... I can see it, smell it, hear it now!

Ah... those were the days! Deep sigh! I was young then!
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gel Arc Elbow Braces work pretty well for tennis elbow.
Have you thought about wearing a SACROILIAC BELT (aka SI Belt) around your pelvis? What it does is that by providing the correct balance of resistance and resilience, the SI belt re-establishes the joint’s normal motion, thus relieves stress and instability at these weight bearing structures. The price of SI belts are in reasonable range these days, average cost is about $40 USD. I know a lot of people who wear SI belts, and I've read some astonishing testimonials about it. There are many si belts out there, but Serola SI Belt seems to be the best one as far as quality, comfort, and price are considered. Check out their website for more: http://www.serola.net/product_new_sac_belt.php

I think you buy directly from their website at: http://serolabelt.com/new-serola-sacroiliac-belt.aspx

Hope it helps, good luck to you!

Kay said...

mmm... I posted this comment about Belts and Braces thinking it is probably advertising, but who knows? Kind of flattering (or scary?) that somebody's search engine found me.

I jokingly refer to myself as a belts and braces girl, but people from other cultures don't seem to understand the expression! (No, I'm not kinky... not in THAT sense anyway!)

If you saw my posture at the computer, says she who has had a bad back for more years than she cares to remember and knows exactly how to treat it right, you too would say "Thank you, timely reminder".