1 May 2012

today's work

I decided that the abbey ruins were too prominent so I put a light glaze over them (off white) and then defined the first rise a little more. I changed my mind about the rocks several times, and will probably make a few adjustments later too.  


I've lost the light again even though it is not quite 4pm; we seem to be getting mid-afternoon cloud, it threatens to rain, and then is bright again. It's impossible to paint detail in the resulting half light.  

And here they are, all to the same stage.  Are they finished? Probably not, but they are all close to finished and I can take a break and work on something more cheerful for a while.  They can be varnished at the last minute.  Too much time contemplating sorrow even as a concept is not good for anyone!


Today I am grateful for birdsong. 


4 comments:

The Artist In Me said...

I love these pieces! There is something so beautiful about the red color that overpowers the gloom. The first thing I thought of was the little girls jacket in the movie Schindler's list...speaks volumes to the piece!

Helen said...

I thought I had a favourite until today now I'm not so sure!

Kay said...

@ The Artist in Me

Today I found myself adding a little more colour, something I didn't want to do, and I think it is because the poppies (which are in full bloom at the moment) do bring a feeling of peace and going forward. The painting has a warm glow to it and has become more optimistic than sad. I get that same feeling sometimes when I visit the Commonwealth Cemetery in Cassino. There is a serenity and beauty there that can rise above the sorrow (on a good day). My paintings are not serene, but I hope that they give pause for thought. Thanks for your postive comment :-)

Kay said...

@Helen, I am glad that you are not so sure... it surely means that I have made progress! Thanks for "popping in"...