19 September 2011

the old home valley is shaking again


View Larger Map
Feeling bad about yet another earthquake in Christchurch I went to the New Zealand earthquake site to check it out. There I found that the old faithful earthquake zones are active again, including the shaky valley where I grew up.

I marvel at what can be done these days with internet. If it were not so wonderful it would be alarming. In fact, it is alarming. I load a photograph onto my computer and open Picasa. There beside my photo album is a map with every photograph pinpointed on it. Amazing, yet a little scary too.

But getting back to the earthquakes. I zoomed in on the one that sounded very close to home as I once knew it. Sure enough it was there, the centre of the quake being just over the hill from where I spent my childhood. Zoomed in, and in. And from feeling concern for Christchurch suddenly I am climbing hills in Marumaru and Opoiti, reliving watching dog trials while waiting for the school bus, digging for treasure, hiding in Maori fortification dug-outs... and not getting on with my work.

So if this link works, you can go to the spot just above Frasertown where the bigger green map says Tiniroto Road. (On the black and white relief map version it is Mangapoike Rd). Where there is a short straight piece of road with green fields between the river and the road you will find me, lost in memories. (Next to the "patchwork" land which is the next property to the north). I'm the tomboy, always in shorts and up a hill or a tree. I'm the one with hair so blonde her scalp got sunburnt regularly. Perhaps that's why I choose to spend my summers behind one metre thick stone walls these days.

Where is home? A friend once said that home is where you can have a dog. I've always said that home is where the heart is. There is noone left there for me to call Marumaru home now. Wairoa falls further and further away from my thoughts. I am constantly pulled back to read Fleur Adcock's Weathering. Home is here, when I can't be with my family. At least Zacchi and Piccolina would agree.

Today I am also grateful for happy memories and new dreams.

No comments: