17 September 2011

and still we burn

The helicopters continue to fly over me. A blue haze fills the valley and I can barely see the other side in parts. This fire must be close, because the helicopter flies my way. I can't smell smoke, and there is no crackle of flames, so I am guessing that close is still at least two or three kilometres away.

The countryside has a bleached look, where it is not blackened. Wherever there is a drop of water there is a wasp looking for a drink. This weekend should be the last of our 35+ temperatures, but there is still no sign of rain.

Today I am having a down day, not a bad day but a quiet one. I should have gone to a ceremony for veterans in another town, but I had no energy to drive there. I have opted out of a street painting display this evening, and another one tomorrow. Zacchi sits at my feet, looking at me with worried eyes when I move. Pickle is being very silent.

I am missing my family, and wishing I could teleport myself to where each one of them is. It's 2.40pm. Time for lunch, some music, and maybe a spot of domesticity. This apathy is no good for anyone. So, cold water to cool off, hot water to boil some eggs, and then some uplifting music to get me moving again.

Today I am grateful for Fizzgig.

1 comment:

Teacake said...

:-(

(((Hugs and waves from afar)))