23 September 2011

freeday

Tonight over dinner my friends were practising their English. Today is Freeday, said the husband. Fryday, I corrected (he had fried our mozzarella in carozza). Free day is giorno libero, I said. Domani, Saturday, is free day. No, he said, tomorrow is job day. Work day, I said. You do a job, you have a job, but it is a work day. "Every day is work day" sighed his wife in the sweetest accent. I noticed that the kids were slipping away from the table quietly. Enough with this English, the lesson finished half an hour ago.

The mozzarella in carozza is not too bad. (Mozzarella isn't really a cheese in my book. And somehow cheese in a carriage just doesn't do it as a name!) The carriage was a fine breadcrumb batter tonight, or was it fine slices of bread beaten with a few extras a bit like the schnitzel recipe I have?

I preferred the risotto with porcini mushrooms and pachini though. Little piglets? No, just rather special mushrooms. Pachini are tiny little tomatoes which are little bursts of flavour. Yummm... It's really hard trying to eat small meals here!

PS the letter i sounds like an e in Italian, using the same vowel sounds as the Maori language. You say freeday, I say fryday, I feel a song coming on...

Today I am grateful for a skype call from Melbourne.

No comments: