29 September 2011

bear with me please

Thinking "out loud"... sorry, perhaps I have been living on my own for too long!

The hydrangeas, which should have been painted in a few strokes, are driving me nuts! I'll delete some of these photos once I am happy but for now I need the objectivity of the blog comparative images to help me sort this.

The client likes a very impressionist style, and I am being pulled by my desire for realism; this is in acrylic and I am thinking like a watercolourist at the problem solving stage, and all in all this is simply not working for me. Yet on some level it is OK. (When I take my glasses off especially!)

I think the biggest problem is not the lack of depth and shadow but the fluffy nature of the petals. Most hydrangea petals are quite flat in their sections.
I am tempted to change the composition and put more emphasis on the lilies, but keeping in mind that this is going to be sitting directly over a flaming fire in the winter that doesn't really appeal. I had intended it being almost monotone like the first one, but somehow it took on a life of its own. The colour will all have to be cut back, with the colour of the bricks being the key factor in the decision making.
Now to focus on the foliage a little, and lighten a section of the background. Then I can get back to the lilies. The goal is to finish this today... And a check of measurements shows that I have long been painting outside the guidelines. How did I manage to do that? Cropped version above is correct sizing. Will it work in the space? Or are the objects too big? Time for some fresh air.

Today I am grateful for calla lilies.

3 comments:

Teacake said...

Do what your paying client wants.

Or prepare a very good case for doing different, put it to them before you get to the point of no return, and if they still want impressionist then go with that, it's their money :-)

Sarah said...

Teacake is right!
Sadly it's not your artwork, it is theirs.

It's looking good regardless, mum!

Kay said...

Thanks T and S :-) Your opinions mean a lot to me. I'm almost happy with it, and have been looking at the photo of where it has to go. I think it will do the trick quite nicely.

:-)