7 February 2009

watching paint dry...

The expression "like watching paint dry" takes on a whole new meaning when you are a watercolourist.

I use a lot of water when I paint, probably more than most would use. I love dropping the pigment into puddles of water on my paper, watching where the pigments run. Some scamper rapidly to the edge of the water bubble. Some settle, reluctant to swim. Some swirl about, wondering which of the other pigments to dance with, to blend with, to settle with. (A bit like young folk at a party, really). Some are rogue pigments, and will get under the surface of the paper, travelling in the night, unseen. I wake in the morning and approach the work with excitement, wondering if there will be any "happy accidents" to challenge me.

I really do watch paint dry, monitoring the sheen on the surface, dropping clean water or more pigment in, softening off edges where I don't want lines to form.

I am writing this post because paint is drying very slowly today; it is a damp dull day, and I can't trust myself not to fiddle with the puddles of water as the pigment settles.A couple of days away from this, then some adjusting and finishing off to do. It came together much faster than I expected, but I didn't let myself get tied up in the details on the buildings. As it is I think it has a slight fairy-tale quality to it.
.

No comments: