5 February 2009

another way of thinking

Have you ever wondered why, with very few exceptions, ancient Italian houses survive big earthquakes?

I asked my two workers to use the rubble from my cantina to extend my steps. Efficient and useful disposal, I thought. I had done the calculations: there was plenty of "fill" and I thought there were just enough rocks to form a splendid natural set of steps where, at the end of a working day, I could ease my aching bones, sip on a glass of wine, and be out of view from passers-by.

I was partly right. There was plenty of fill. There is now too much, in fact. Disposal problem remains.

My workers have grown up in these ancient houses, and know how they are constructed. Apparently steps are constructed the same way. I defy ANY earthquake to even shake my new steps.

Now where am I going to find another 50 large rocks?

***

PS: It made me think of our French exchange student daughter from Alsace. As we drove home to the Waikato through outer Auckland she asked "Where are the people's permanent houses?" Timber and corrugated iron a holiday home makes! New Zealand housing looked far too temporary in her eyes. Now, from my ancient house (the cantina and my ground floor apartment is late medieval) with its indestructible steps, I see what she meant.

No comments: