3 February 2009

sometimes

Sometimes establishing who you are (if it is important to you) is a matter of working out who you are not.

I find myself repeatedly having to come back to what is my "core business", that is, a painter, teacher and sometimes writer, and pull myself out of distractions.

I keep seeing other ways to earn a living, but know in my heart that they are not really me. I like helping other people make their dreams come true; I just have to stop trying to spread myself too thin and let other aspects go.

This morning I prepared the paper for my next exhibition... this time watercolour, and only of my local village. It will be evening painting work, done in artificial light. The days are spoken for already. I made a promise that my next show here would be 100% local... that is, VERY local. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might only be a few months away.

One of the biggest blocks to my creativity is having to prepare my materials. It is time to reclaim my studio... it has been a kitchen for too many months now! Or shall I choose the other room, it has better light but no water...

mmm... decisions!

Stop getting distracted, back to work!

No comments: