17 February 2009

suddenly it's lunchtime

When my hands became too frozen to move any more I looked at the clock. The morning has gone. I have been still for far too long, quietly working on three pieces for the June-July exhibition. The hours were tranquil, my solitude broken only by two phone calls and a little music.

The whistling from my steps blends with the background noises and I only just remember to make coffee for the worker. Usually there are two men working, and their laughter, disputes and constant interruptions break my days. This morning there is only one, the whistler, so I work on largely oblivious of my company outside. The big decision this morning was the colour of the cement used in the mix to place the split rock on the concrete steps. I must take full responsibility here as my workers did not agree on which is most appropriate, and called me to adjudicate. Drat, I was enjoying leaving all the decisions to them! Which way do I go? Light or dark? Does it really matter? Initially my preference was for the lighter mix, blending with the rock colour more, but I opted to continue with the dark, rather than have two day's work tossed out and re-done. I think it looks more natural, more earthy, as it has little flecks of colour through it. The lighter cement was all the one colour. The bottom step will remain lighter, and as it is smaller that's OK with me. In the dappled sunlight you can hardly see the difference. My main concern is that the remaining steps are all the one colour.
And, dare I hope? The guy who is to make my kitchen doors came back to re-measure this morning. I have been waiting since September; I placed the original order last June or July. Double glazing and security glass is on its way!

Now to spend a little time in the sun, and maybe be nice to Zacchi who is wondering how long this imprisonment will last.

There was a very light frost this morning, down on the terraces under the trees but not by the house. I don't know why I am complaining of the cold when it is no colder than anywhere else I have lived. It could be that I am missing my electric blanket and the large eucalyptus logs on the NZ fire that didn't go out all winter.

I'm off to make some soup; that always makes things feel warmer, and I'll sit outside in the sun for a while.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh my!
Your steps are ridiculously beautiful!