2 February 2009

a beautiful new project

I have been entrusted with the restoration and reconstruction of a ruined fresco on a vaulted ceiling. Today I climbed up to have a closer look at the techniques used, and have decided to use secco fresco, tempera with a binding glue or egg tempera painted into a thin wash of lime. I am 99% certain that is how it was painted originally. I will be working on scaffolding; this time it is I who will have the sore neck and back, not my workers here!

This is the under-drawing, in traditional red; who knows what colour the original fresco was? Now for some research and quizzing the more senior folk who might remember...
So exciting!
.

3 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

Yes, that sounds fascinating Kay. I would love to do that!

jaffah kayakah said...

Very cool Kay. What sort of time frame is this. It looks biggish. It could keep you busy for quite awhile. Joya

Kay said...

It is to be finished by June... goodbye world, I will emerge when it is done!

Fortunately there are large areas without detail. I have arranged to have a full "floor" of scaffolding at two different heights so I can work on the centre of the ceiling in the mornings, and the sloping sides which give a more upright painting position in the afternoons.

I think Zacchi will be walked at lunch time to help me straighten out!