10 February 2009

not just a number

I have subscribed to a language programme that is a lot of fun... when I make time to study. Part of my subscription was a free package of lessons, available to download from the web. I couldn't download it in the required time, it was too big a file. I wrote to the company who promised to send the DVDs to my physical address. The communication about this had Chinesepod written on it. I wrote to clarify that I really would be getting the Italian version. Yes, that was correct, wrote Ross.

Between the interesting personality of the Italian postal service, the vague nature of the "third party" origin of the order I was receiving, and my genuine belief that some things just don't turn out the way you hope they will and that is simply a part of living, I didn't really expect to see my two DVDs of Italian lessons.

The package arrived yesterday, much sooner than I expected. It had a United States customs declaration form on it. I rushed to the computer. The sound of the resonating gongs confirmed my fears. I now have 100 lessons in Chinese to study.

I searched for the original email, and last night I wrote "Dear Ross, I was so excited to get my package today... but alas, it is Chinese, complete with gongs and things I am sure wont help me to survive here in Italy! Please can you send me the Italian version? Thankyou!"

A reply with an apology came in the early hours of this morning, from Galum in China, asking for my address to send the Italian version to. I sent it. Within minutes an email came back, simply saying "Done!"

Suddenly I realised that at the other end of this correspondence was real person, someone with thoughts, emotions, another life. I replied "Grazie! Lovely to get a human response... have a great day!" And in my inbox now sits the reply "You too!"

Was it Ross? Was it Galum? Maybe someone else altogether, someone who doesn't need to sign their name. I don't know. But whoever they are, working so efficiently - who knows where in the world - I really do hope that they have a great day!

1 comment:

Aslan Invincible Sunix said...

其实,他的名字叫“gulam”,我帮他取的中文名字,叫“古龙”,他来自印度。