16 May 2009

lovely evening

Sometimes things come from nowhere to give you a lovely surprise. I have been spoilt this week with two unexpected Kiwi connections.

I don't miss New Zealand at all, and in fact often don't remember to think about it although I wish family were much much closer, but when you are unexpectedly with family and/or like-minded fellow Kiwis there is a lovely understanding (and fun conversation) that reminds you of all the good things about the kiwi culture.

Early this week relatives were surprised to find that their Battlefield Tour assistant was a distant cousin. It was great to share their excitement as they traced the steps of a grandfather. Names on the family tree before, friends now. Life is extraordinary and beautiful!

Guests at the local agriturismo last night had their peace interrupted by me popping in to say hello and see if they needed anything. I was expecting a "foreign" English speaker to appear, but there was no mistaking the accent when the surprised gentleman and his lovely wife came out to say hello to the intruder.

I hope the Kiwis who came to Lazio enjoyed their visits here as much as I did.

Today I am grateful for travelling Kiwis.

No comments: