20 May 2009

an angel called saturday

Back on the work site I needed to find a ladder. The ever-changing staff of workmen meant it was yet another new face I asked to help in my search for a "scala". He held the ladder (the smallest and least secure ladder so far) as I climbed up. His name was Sabotino ("little Saturday") he told me with a smile, but I could just call for Sabato if I needed anything and he would come. A while later he appeared with a very welcome coffee and the offer of a cigarette.

Later he popped in to check that all was OK up on my platform, and I guess to see what I was doing there. I was doing my "up and down" to my paint, thinking that at least the bending down was stretching out the spine so constricted in the 'painting up'. Not good enough, says Saturday, who turns out to be a guardian angel. He brings me a mini bench to put my colours on, helps me to move the planks so I have a secure four-plank platform behind me, and tells me that when we go home from work we must take with us both our money and our health.

I like this young man!

The morning's work:
And at the end of the day...Today I am grateful for the angels who come into my life when I least expect them.

No comments: