28 May 2009

blogging along

I am a little out of routine so blogging is taking a back seat for a while.

I am painting (those straight lines again) and filling in every spare minute with friends and family. Zacchi is not so sure about all the changes around the place, and is still suffering at times from his bothersome ear.

I will be very happy to have the straight lines finished and "hung" around the vaulted ceiling. I must remember to go to the picture framer and sign the watercolour works this week.

I have reverted to cooking "meat and three veg" for my Antipodean guests, with potatoes included in the meal. My house smells of a different culture this week. We do eat pasta for lunch though, and yesterday cooked too much so Zacchi is delighted.

The hot week of August temperatures has settled back down to 24 - 27 degrees centrigrade, much more bearable, but I remain contented working inside where it is cool.

I have many emails to answer, but don't want to dash off hasty replies.

*****

Energy, energy levels, what makes us who we are; there is much to think about, many things to ponder. I spent too much time last week agonising over what my "real work" should be as I juggled painting and commemorations, memorials and touring groups. My real work is simply living here, accepting what comes along, and doing my best with whatever challenges life brings. For a former 'control freak' like me this has been a hard lesson to learn.

It is good to know who we are, where we come from, to feel strong roots. Roots have their place, but sometimes bind too firmly. The fruit matures, and falls from the plant. I think that I am sometimes like a tree. But at other times it is good to be a butterfly, or a bumblebee.

Home is not a place, it is a recognition of a state where the heart is at peace. Feeling at home is being at one with nature. Being at home for me is also being in contact with the ones I love, whoever and wherever they might be.

There is no path, but many dancing fireflies remind me that a tiny tiny flicker of light can be seen from afar. That light keeps me company as I walk, whether with tiny steps or striding out confidently. It is true that, no matter how short or how long, how adventurous or how familiar, every journey begins with the first step.

Today I am grateful for simply being here.

No comments: