27 August 2011

stooooopid!

Saturday morning:

How many years is it that I have had to be really fussy about which type of pillow I use? How stupid can I be?

Last night I was too hot and tired to go upstairs and retrieve my feather pillow from the studio where I sleep when I have guests here. Going upstairs in the afternoon is like walking into an oven. In fact, this morning I ate a cooked nectarine for breakfast, baked sitting on the benchtop in the studio. (It was delicious!) In the morning, however, upstairs is the perfect work space with a lovely breeze and clear light.

This morning when I woke from a deep sleep in the cooler part of the house I couldn't turn my head. I haven't done this to myself for years. I'd be hopping mad except that I can't hop with this crick in my neck.

I have watered the trees, and slunk back inside.

There's always an up side, though.

The portrait that needs to be finished in about ten days is coming along nicely. It is the only painting that I can work on comfortably at my desk. Compulsory attention to detail while I berate myself and try to straighten out again.

Today I am grateful for feather pillows.

3 comments:

nicola said...

oh nooooooo!

Anonymous said...

I have been researching sustainable buldings for our construction Co, Tiles are a remarkable heat sink and we use them inside the big sliders and french doors in our house for this purpose (NZ winters). I came to thinking about your studio that catches afternoon sun (am I correct?)perhaps exterior shade awnings over the windows and doors that are retractable in the winter. Did you double glaze the new windows downstairs? as this is now compulsory in all new housing in N.Z.and not much more expensive. A.

Kay said...

Yes, downstairs completely "double-glazed with security glass" except for the end window in the cantina nearest the fountain. This one will simply be restored to maintain its rustic form. It doesn't need doubleglazing, but the new door into the "tool shed" from the cantina has windows with double glazing, also top opening to allow air circulation.

An awning is a good idea, but I will probably go for a type of venetian blind outside so that I can adjust the light as well. That is what had been there but was no longer functioning. I'd love a big awning over the terrace though...