15 August 2011

extempore

Today's challenge? It was up early-ish again, and off to Colle San Magno where I had been invited to take part in an "estemporanea di pittura" event, painting locally.

Check-in was at 9am, and once forms were filled the organisers stamped and signed the back of our chosen material and the race was on. The brief was to be inspired by the village or surrounding countryside. We were not confined to a set space. I eyed up my subject matter then headed home to the studio to paint.

The finished piece before I delivered it to the organisers
The source photograph

I wanted something I was able to complete in the set 8 hours (I painted for 6 as I had a bit of driving time to add in) so chose a simple idea and while I was heading home figured out how I could complicate it. Yes, really!

The general idea: take the balcony and bring it forward using colour and tone but set it back within a bigger context. Abstract the door frame to give a frame within a frame. Use muted colours for the building so it confuses the eye. Simplify the building to suit the idea.






4pm. I could paint for another half hour but getting clean and refreshed seems more important. Stop!

Unfortunately I couldn't wait to see all the work on display as I was heading to a concert in Filignano, the town that was home to the ancestors of Mario Lanza. That one was an international competition... and yes, for me, although the prizes went also to a Russian soprano and an Asian soprano, the Italian tenor was a winner!

Today I am grateful for art and music.

No comments: