18 August 2011

another festa...

I couldn't help myself. It's summer holidays, and my favourite group was playing in the next village. How can a groupie stay home? So, telling myself that I was completely mad, I tried to contact friends who might like to go. Two turned me down, and two didn't reply. So off I went, in my trusty Polo, knowing that really winding road pretty well these days.

The music was good, as always, but perhaps I was a little too tired to really "get into it". Each time I watch MBL I marvel at the skills of the individual musicians. The young man on the tambourine makes that instrument do things I never imagined it could. He is so fit, and produces a very physical performance. I am spellbound if I manage to get a position with him in my direct line of vision. My other favourite to watch is the drummer, the son of good friends and a very talented musician. It's a little like watching sport or any other type of event; you don't have to be an expert or a participant yourself. When you are watching the very best you appreciate the dedication, passion and skill level as well as the result.

The highlight for me tonight was being pulled into the dancing by a young 17 year old friend. I can hardly imagine that happening in dear old New Zealand. I didn't exactly acquit myself well (those cobblestones are sharp in thin-soled sandals) but she taught me enough steps for me to be confident that I could join in again some time.

And now it's time to put my screaming feet into some cold water. The temperature outside has dropped to a comfortable 20 something degrees, but my feet are still feeling the cobblestones. Another reason to lose weight!

Today I am grateful for beautiful festival lights.

1 comment:

Feijoa said...

yay, lose weight by dancing like a groupie! (: