19 August 2011

pilgrims

It is 1.15am. My alarm is set for 5am. I had just got to sleep... and the pilgrims heading towards Canneto went past. Loudly. Calling out, creating as much noise as they could to wake any who had been lucky enough to fall asleep now that the air is cooling.

If they weren't wearing backpacks and carrying walking sticks cut from branches, (they have a long way to go), and a wooden cross, I would have assumed that they had come from the pub and had imbibed more than was good for them. They were pushing and shoving and generally having a thoroughly good time. I think (from their energy levels) that they probably set out from a neighbouring village at midnight. The prilgrimage from here advertised outside my house is due to start at 6am.

I know that I have chosen to live in a country that has many many many religious festivals and rituals, but please, give me a break. I need to SLEEP! It's enough that there are fireworks and festas every night, no point in trying to get to sleep before midnight or the loud bangs will wake you. That the only time to achieve anything that takes effort is between 5am and 8.30am has little to do with bed time.

Scary though, is that shortly before the pilgrims two vehicles went through at huge speeds (that's what really woke me). Had they been heading in the opposite direction I shudder to think what might have happened, as the pilgrims (about 50 of them) were spread across the entire road, not walking in an orderly, peaceful, reverent procession as one might imagine.

OK, gripe over. I'll go back to bed for the third or fourth time and see if I can catch some zzzzzs before the alarm goes off in three and a half hours time.

Today I am grateful for obedient and tolerant dogs.

1 comment:

Jackerd said...

I'm the living proof that you can sleep, well before midnight, and notice nothing of fireworks or barking dogs (but i feel for you)