12 February 2008

too much freedom

Zacchi loves to run. He is incredibly fast. He absolutely loves to run full speed along our road. And, sometimes, when it seems quiet, I let him. Irresponsible I know, but how can I deny him the pleasure he gets when he almost flies? But lately, he has been taking advantage of the freedom, not coming back when I call him, not wanting to come down to the enclosed garden. Today he escaped early when I went to check on my gas, and ran, ran, ran. He came back, an hour later, but not until he had worried half the village. Later, when walking, I gave him a little freedom. He was good for about 500 metres. Then he realised we were heading for home. He took the high road.

It's OK to worry me, Zacchi, but it's not OK to worry the neighbours. So now he is back on the leash. If only he had come when he was called, he could have freedom every day. For now, he is back under control. Bit of a bind for both of us really.

It made me think a bit about responsibility, freedom of choice, all that serious stuff. There is no "one-size-fits-all" prescription for that. Some of those choices affect us for a life time. Others make hardly a ripple. What is right for one is not right for another. I suppose the thing is to make sure there are no real regrets in our lives, and look for that positive future.

So Zacchi, as I don't want any regrets, don't want you run over, or frightening the neighbours as you fly like a speeding bullet close to their cars, I am going to take away your freedom, clip your wings. You didn't know it, but the choice was yours.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Um.
I hate to point it out to you but Zacchi looks like a scary Jim Henson puppet.
A little Dark Crystalish.
I don't think I would let him lick my nose.
*trembles*

Kay said...

I must confess I have much cuter photos... that is his "I am not liking what you are saying" look...

Sarah said...

Fizzgig!
http://www.yar.nu/macke/fizzgig2.jpg

Feijoa said...

Oh Zacchi, zacchi. You naughty dog. You did it to yourself...

Kay said...

That unkind photo :-)

Poor Zacchi... on a good day he really is cute!

He is the subject of some writing I am doing... some TEFL work for children. So I do photograph him in odd places for the stories.

I had just photographed him trying to jump up onto my bed, and he was most put out about the camera flash and the fact that he is NOT allowed on the bed!

There are *some* rules here...

Anonymous said...

Sarah's right, Dark Crystal! And Nik's right, he's naughty. And mum's right, he's gorgeous anyway :-)

Tee hee!
Hi girls!

Kay said...

Mmmm... thanks Sarah, I have just checked out Fizzgig.

I think Zacchi is more scary...

and it's only my chin he is allowed to lick... and not *too* often!