19 February 2008

on art

an email from a friend, edited with permission

Art makes a difference - full stop
It endures longer than people problems, longer than people lives, longer than many nations.

... you must also give hope, give beauty, give examples of creation. You do that...

Keep putting in brush strokes.


And that is true too. How many people are diverted or soothed by the art on the waiting room walls? Given pleasure as they choose the artwork that is the final purchase in making a house a home? And didn't I say very publicly, at the time of my first solo exhibition, that I wanted original art to be accessible, affordable, so people could own works that had more meaning for them, works that wouldn't fade to the washed out blue I saw in so many homes? So doesn't that give me some obligation to make those works should they ask for them?

And no, I am not going to enter the debate about what is a picture that anyone could have painted, with or without guidance or talent, and what is art. At least not before breakfast.

I don't use a projector to get a likeness in my portraits, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is cheating to do so. But check out buying portraits on the internet, and then we can debate the difference between art and craft. Some "craft" is real art, other art is a "mere" craft. I say that with the utmost caution, because historically those words are loaded. Another time, maybe.

But now I must eat. I have more than my cereal to chew on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First up, I really enjoyed both your post and Sarah's post on this subject. You guys both talk sense to me!

I wonder: why the perpetual anguish over the definition of art? Why does the definition matter? Art can be decoration, or illustration, or personal expression, or the visual re-telling of stories, it can be lots of things.

Why do people want to elevate one form of art over another? I am very wary of subjective discrimination such as "art as opposed to craft" (or similarly "traveller as opposed to tourist"). I think there are often ugly attitudes beneath them.

Sarah said...

Hey!
You!
Little Fairy!
How do I catch you?!
*looks for fairy net*