8 February 2008

just couldn't do it

tried so hard to keep away from the computer, but I think it has a people magnet inside...

This evening (we have siesta all year round, shops open again at 4.30 or 5pm) I went to the picture framer to have the portrait of Angela remounted and trimmed, and my large map of Europe - that hangs in my stairwell and was caught in the wind last year - repaired. I chatted there for nearly an hour, about this and that, as far as my vocabulary would take me. At the end of that time, there was no bill for the work done. Not a cent. I tried to pay, but no. Not permitted.

Further along the road, negotiating traffic, bright lights in the half dark, my phone rang. Forgetting the law, I answered it. As I dodged the ambling pedestrians, cars on right side of road, occasionally the wrong side of road, feeling perfectly safe (with cell phone in hand?), I thought... wouldn't have been able to do this a year ago!

I guess that's progress?

And so far, everyone who has seen the portrait of Angela has recognised her instantly. Makes me feel pretty good :-) Now to get that "imp of mischief", as Nana Jean would have called him, and his big sister, ready to go home as well...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Not people magnet. People! People stuck inside! *bangs fist on screen* Lemme OUT!