11 February 2008

so you don't believe in God?


(photo of the tiare flower from picasaweb.google.com)


I wrote earlier that I don't know exactly what I believe God is, these days, but I do believe that there is more than coincidence in this world. That is not to take away freedom of choice, attribute everything to un unknown power, give up personal responsibility. In fact many years ago, when I was writing to my former Bible Class leader after a friend of mine had been murdered, and I questioned that God could let this happen, she pointed out to me that God had given us freedom of choice. There may be many awful things in the world, many mistakes made, but that was our choice, not part of a master plan.

And freedom of choice is why I am writing this now. Tiare, I hope you have got to a computer and are reading this too.

I was sleeping, minding my own business, at 4am this morning, when someone popped onto my computer; I heard the "bong" of a chat. By the time I got to the screen the little green image was disappearing. I have no idea who it was. But the only person on line in my MSN list was Tiare. So thanks, God, whoever, whatever you are, for waking me, because Tiare was on my mind recently. She is a bit hard to get hold of, she shifts house sometimes, doesn't have much email time, and well... let's just say she is predictably unpredictable.

I wanted to put Tiare in my suitcase and bring her to Italy with me when I left my NZ office last year.

Tiare is one of the most talented sports people I have ever met. She is intelligent, beautiful, and just so very, very talented. But she is young, and like many young people, sometimes takes the easy option. Now that easy option is pretty hard core stuff, I really tore my hair out over you Tiare, I did, you turned my blonde hair grey!

But, I do believe in Tiare. And I am right to believe in Tiare. For one thing, she is still going to school. That is miracle number one. She is going to play netball again this year. Make that happen, beautiful lady. Your biggest fan will be checking up on you from Italy. Get yourself out there running. Are you playing touch this summer? I hope so.

The tiare is a flower, a beautiful island flower. This Tiare should be out there for everyone to see. I am waiting to read about her story, much the same way as I read about Jonah Lomu's story from school days to fabulous sportsman days. I have talked to her coaches. I believe Tiare is that good.

No comments: