29 February 2008

the up side of down

I have been fighting the flu with endless cups of tea with lemon and honey, yummy soup, lots of my favourite chocolate, and hours and hours of sleep. And now I feel well enough to snuggle up with a book...

"Life, Paint and Passion, reclaiming the magic of spontaneous expression" by Michele Cassou and Stewart Cubley. Publisher Jeremy P Tarcher/Penguin NY. ISBN 0-87477-810-7

I opened it at random, a habit I have. That is how I found that paths are made by walking. Today I found this:

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult. (Seneca).

***************************************************************************
...and then I read a little more, and came back to the computer, because I wanted to add this. It reminds me of Sarah's great to be lost...

The great majority of artists are throwing themselves in with life-preservers around their necks, and more often than not it is the life-preserver which sinks them. (Henry Miller)


I think it is time to jump out of the life boat, paint for process, not product, for a while... somewhere deep inside me I am sure that, when I need to, I can swim.

No comments: