10 January 2008

thursdays

Thursdays are always a challenge. I teach English on Thursdays. I would rather study Italian. I missed going to the gym today. Instead, I trotted happily along my street in my nightgown. What? you say... That isn't the Kay we know and love! That model of decorum from Morrinsville.

You see the tree roots on the road seem to break the water pipe that runs along it, above my house. I live below road level. Having street access here is a bonus, I don't have to carry groceries up a hillside on slippery rock paths in the winter. So my car is parked outside the house, along with several others.

This morning, the water people came early to fix a broken pipe. If they hadn't, there would soon have been water seeping through into my cantina, which is built of rocks and rammed earth. It was already creeping up Elfania's wall in the apartment above me; she called the water people. And when they wanted the cars moved, we all ran. Romana in her pyjamas and dressing gown, me in big woollie cardy, my Scottish lambswool slippers and ankle-length nightie. Navy blue seemed to be the colour of choice on our street today.

I enjoyed that. I felt like a local.

Funny, the things that give you pleasure sometimes.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I slept all Thursday. So we were probably in our nighties at the same time. ;)