25 January 2008

they say

Last night the Italian government fell. It is good that the government has fallen, they say. Things were going from bad to worse, they say. Italy is finished, they say...

But Italy survived being an occupied country during WWII. The destruction, the poverty, the starvation, the health problems, the separated families, the deaths, the injuries, the rapes, the atrocities... back then they said that Italy was finished. How they lived through these things I cannot hope to ever really comprehend. But I see that Italy survived. With style, with technology, with heart and passion.

Yes, many things could be better, I know. Yes it is fragmented, I know. Yes it has big problems, I know. Yes, it has many many layers I do not understand, will never understand, this I know.

But Italy will survive. I know.

No comments: