23 January 2008

an interesting 24 hours

Can Kay survive 24 hours without a computer? Mmmmm... yes... but!

My normal routine involves time on the computer in the evening. I don't like television at the best of times, and poor reception Italian television doesn't exactly pull me in. I could get an aerial, I suppose, or put the tv back where it was, but I need it where it is to show the photographs I am working from...

At the computer I write, I work on projects, I study a little Italian, I email, I skype Kiwi friends occasionally... a pleasant way to pass an evening. Last night I paced the studio, tried not to touch the works in progress - I am really pleased with the second portrait, two visitors recognised her instantly and I like the way the clothing and background seems to pick up how I see her, an incredibly stylish, thoroughly modern woman living in a stone house in a village over 1000 years old.

In the end, I couldn't cope with my hands not being occupied, so I took Zacchi for a long walk, photographed the village in the dark, came home and played the piano for a while and forced myself to have an early night. How does one fill an evening without TV or computer, without reading in English and when too tired to study Italian? Roll on summertime, when I can go up to the piazza and chat until 11pm.

But for now, I think I may have to get a cable to connect my tv with its aerial again... or maybe sew for the summer... or pretend I am a domestic goddess and make marmalade to give away...

This morning there was no reason to bounce out early. The paintings must dry some more, they are slow at this time of year, and there was no computer to check for mail. A good excuse to wander to the market and just enjoy being here again. I bought a pottery jug in the regional style so I can cook in the fire. Truth is I am more likely to use it next winter for mulled wine than cooking beans...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sew!
Make me some clothes!
I am poor and shrinking and my clothes are naught!
I'll pay you in paintings as the years go by...

Anonymous said...

No computer access! I'd be up the wall and I can imagine you were too AND up onto the roof sending messages with mirrors. Good to see see you back in the world.

Kay said...

Aaaah! So you saw me, did you? Bit chilly up there at night though... and the mirrors didn't work so well when the moon was being shy...

But last night the moon was beautiful, magic over the castle ruins in any season. Perfect for dreaming...