26 January 2008

it's saturday, all day...

Some time ago someone cut down the tree on the vacant land next to me and carried away green firewood. I came home and disturbed them, and nothing was cleared away. Because I am still a bit afraid of snakes, since last May I have cleared and mowed and cared for that vacant lot. If anyone had a right to that tree, it was me. But I was not cold enough, not poor enough, not cunning enough to think of stealing a tree in mid-winter. But now, each day, I clip a few twigs from the remaining trimmings for next year's kindling. Not stealing, just tidying up of course... Waste not, want not, my grandmother used to say...

Today was shopping day. I hate shopping. I had a huge trolley of supplies. It was close to lunch time. I invited five shoppers to go ahead of me in the queue. I was given five wonderful smiles in return... How easy it is to make someone smile :-)

Bounty Bars taste just as sinfully good in Italy as they did in New Zealand.

While I didn't mind dishes piling up in the kitchen, I can't stand dirty dishes in the studio. It didn't wear off, I became more fanatical about it.

This morning I finished the portrait of Angela. The last brush stroke was her tiny diamond nose stud. I hope she likes it. I think I do.

Internet is a wonderful thing. Yesterday a friend in Belgium reminded me that it was Rocco's birthday today. I had forgotten. I went up to greet Rocco this morning. No, said his wife, it's not his birthday today. She looked puzzled. So I chatted to Rocco at his workshop, but didn't mention his birthday. Later, Rocco called out to me. Oggi, oggi, (today, today). He is 72 today. His wife had forgotten. Thanks Luk, I think we made his day.

Now my lunch break is over, it is time to walk Zacchi. Or time for Zacchi to walk me. Dare I munch another Bounty Bar...?

No comments: