6 July 2009

photo catch-up

The festa programme.This is a religious festival, with many masses and rituals. The statue of Archangel St Michael is taken up into the church in the cave, and bought back down a few days later. This is no mean feat!

The Madonna is brought out of the church and the two statues are carried through the village, with all able-bodied men taking turns with their shoulders under the heavy weight. As this involves going up and down a steep mountainside, sometimes on cobblestones, one has to admire that the ritual has survived to this day!

I didn't photograph any of the religious ceremonies this year. It didn't feel right to do so.

***

Watercolour exhibition.
The exhibition actually looked quite nice, it just doesn't photograph at all well. When I hung the banner saying "Mostra" I felt a little like an artisan putting up his shingle. The entrance hall has lovely arches and the easels were at a good viewing height although they look too "leggy" here.


Partying the night away (if you are so inclined).

When you want a party you simply close the road, fill it with market stalls and food vendors, put up a stage and hire a very talented pop star from a few years ago. Orietta Berti was performing at a free concert outdoors 500 metres from my door. Not too bad! I didn't manage to get a full song on video as I was mainly listening from my "mostra", so here is youtube link. The selection was more "bright and breezy" last night.



And today I began teasing out the design from the mould in the centre of the vaulted ceiling.

No comments: