15 July 2009

old friend

Today as I trimmed Zacchi's long wirey hair, chewed into dreadlocks by Pickle, I thought about my old dog in New Zealand. Tonight I learned that she died, suddenly but at a grand old age, last Sunday. Bonnie was the friendliest dog, the greatest escape artist, the diggingest dog. Chasing rabbits was her passion; she always returned filthy, wet, and happy!

She was gentle and beautiful. She had a habit of leaning into people's legs, waiting for the pat that always followed. She knew that when I gardened she would get real hugs, more than when I was clean and in my school clothes. She became an inside dog (thanks Ben and Kayne!) when young house sitters were in charge, and as she was so good natured, trusting and appealing, I couldn't throw her out again. Zacchi, that's why YOU are allowed inside.

Bonnie before the last haircut, early NZ summer 2008: And after.
Old, deaf, lacking a little spacial sense, but still the loveliest dog. Spoilt rotten by my Dad in her "retirement" to Tauranga, she became younger, not older, with her regular exercise and fit companion.

Lately she had been sleeping a lot, and sometimes bumped into things. She still smiled.
One of a long line of dogs to become part of the family, probably the oldest, and one of the best.

3 comments:

Tania said...

Darling Bonnie, so communicative, excitable and affectionate! She had a loving nature, and a special friendship with Basil the cat, who taught her to lick her paws and wash her face like he did.

I'm glad I knew her, and I will miss her.

Kay said...

And so patient when Basil "pawed" into her, kneading her with his claws! They had a real identity confusion thing happening!

Anonymous said...

Oh, sad news I was sorry to read it. I met Bonnie only once and she was lovely. Everyone will miss her, especially Eric. That makes me feel sadder
Helen