9 July 2009

in defence of treni

I often hear tourists speak disparagingly of the Italian train service. Yes, occasionally there is the odd hiccup. But mostly, and I mean mostly, when I think of how many trains there are and how many people use them, I have to defend the service.

Today I needed to go to Frosinone, a 40 minute drive away. There are many speed cameras. It is hot, parking is a problem, and I don't like driving in Frosinone because I don't know it at all well.

However, for a whole 2 euros and 50 cents I can take a train at 1.38pm, get there at 2.09pm, not have to worry about parking, do what I need to do, have a cup of coffee, chat to a friend, catch the 3.56pm train home and be back to my car in the free parking near the station in a very efficient time.

Today I am grateful for a cheap and efficient train service.

2 comments:

pasticcino said...

I hope no-one from NZ has dared criticise the Italian train services to you! Ours are worse than woeful.

Now, why should the presence of speed cameras be an issue...?

Kay said...

It's a slow trip at 60kms, and that's what most of the road is these days... that is, when it isn't down to 50kms!

You know when the driver ahead of you has had a fine, traffic slows to 10kms less than permitted. My 20 minute trip to Cassino at 80ks per hour is no more! Maximum speed 60ks, revenue collecting in tough times!

In places along the coast it drops to 40, it's difficult to watch both the traffic and the ever-changing speed limits on a busy day!