22 July 2009

a date with tomorrow

(It's Wednesday morning here).

It is fashionable, and indeed perhaps desirable, to talk about living in the now. Today, this present moment, is all we have (or all we have in this physical life). But are we sometimes too pedantic about it? Too preachy and moralistic?

Yesterday I was very tired, a bit sad and indulging in a little loneliness. I spoke with a good friend from long ago who advised me to find a better emotion and hang on to it, to swing out of where I was. While I don't disagree with the advice, these days I choose to work through the feelings rather than bury them, run from them, or force them by me unresolved. It works for me.

Yesterday I woke up 120 years old. This morning I am back to somewhere closer to my physical age. Tomorrow I'll even look in the mirror, and see what that woman has to say. She usually finds a smile, and gives me some good advice. Perhaps I'll brave her scrutiny later this morning, but breakfast comes first!

As my day improved I got younger, felt stronger, and caught up with friends in person and via the internet. I talked with one friend about enjoying all of his tomorrows. This morning I wonder about tomorrows. I think anticipation is part of the pleasure, just as the journey is often more important than the destination.

Today will be good, but there is nothing wrong with having a date with the fun that is waiting in tomorrow.

Today I am grateful for friends.

No comments: