8 March 2009

yesterday

Yesterday the rascal took me to mass. I suspect he preferred to go with someone who might buy him treats rather than march along in the procession with his classmates.

The first church dedicated to St Tommaso (Thomas Aquinas, the scholar who combined faith and reason and then pulled the Catholic church into order), was far too small for the mass (photo below) - as was the closest one to it.Why is it that the women are all inside the church while the men stand outside in the sun and chat?

We overflowed into the two piazzas, much to the rascal's delight. He played with a friend and swaggered in front of the very attentive girls. The mating game begins very early here. I searched my memory banks for the vocabulary I needed to keep him in line. A bag of unshelled roasted peanuts was the key to control...

The children carried baskets lined with flowers, beautifully arranged and proudly displayed. As the statue passed along the road below them they threw flowers down onto the procession. This was one of the largest religious processions I have seen in my time here. But for a flat camera battery there would have been more photos...

No comments: