3 March 2009

sunshine

Spring officially arrives here 21 March. I think it is here already. Today I walked - good to be out and about again - and I am sure everyone had more spring in their steps, more strength in their voices, more warmth in their smiles. I have to admit that I took very few "umbrella walks", while the older men-folk continued their routines irrespective of the weather. The change in the air has brought the younger ones and the women back out into the daylight... I did feel a little shame as I opted to drive to the shops over the winter.

Last week when I waited for my turn at the police station (my no-fingerprints saga) I was in the reasonably small waiting room for over two hours. People came and went depending on their committments and tolerance levels, or their need for nicotine or caffeine, perhaps. It was really interesting watching how different people affected the whole room.

I was feeling pretty happy, and didn't mind waiting. I had a park with no parking to pay, and had dedicated the best part of the morning to this chore. I took my turn at standing sometimes, then sitting for a while. There were four chairs for a dozen people. I like to people-watch, and to try to understand what is happening around me. The monks exuded an air of calm... well, one of them did, he was silent, gentle, stood the whole time and frequently turned from the "madding crowd" to pray. The other was a cheerful young man studying hard as he sat beside me. Others were less fortunate, stressed, and impatient.

Each person entering, as is the custom here, greeted the waiting group with "Buongiorno". After the greeting, and perhaps exchanging a few pleasantries, the men mostly stood back, quietly waiting. It was the women who entered who altered the energy levels in the room. One young woman, head covered, kept her eyes down although we exchanged smiles when our eyes met. She was very passive, resigned to waiting but not happy about it. Her energy was not bright, not happy, negative although not intrusive. Over a period of time it became draining, so occasionally I walked away to stand in the sun and absorb positive energy. Another woman entered, exuding energy, but it was a fairly neutral energy. She didn't stay long; after fifteen minutes or so she noted her place in the queue before heading off to use her energy more productively. Another woman came in with her partner and was quite aggressive in her attitude. Her impatience and negativity was resonating all around, even when she wasn't speaking. Why do I expect all immigrants to be grateful, as I am, for permission to live here? The policewoman who came to answer her brusque demands was patient, pleasant, and somehow managed to negate some of the unhealthy energy that was filling the room. I was relieved when this woman and her partner left; I could feel my own energy being pulled down by her attitude.

We have a choice, when we enter a room. We can smile, or we can frown. We can be pleasant and friendly, or remote and unwelcoming. It isn't always appropriate to exude cheerfulness, but when we do, when we smile instead of scowl, when we greet others instead of looking past them, what a difference it makes. Our body language is loud and clear, even when we don't know we are using it.

How does the expression go? There is none who needs a smile as much as he who has none left to give.

A smile costs nothing, but is worth so much.
.

No comments: