7 March 2009

not a couch potato

There is something contagious about the big events, the Rotorua marathon, the half marathons, the fun-runs with the hoards of competitors, the international masters events... yet three or four fun walks and being a regular support crew are my only proud athletic achievements!

But give me the angst of pre-race nerves, the smell of liniment and sweaty athletes, show me the line-up of runners bouncing on the spot to stay warmed up - or even the line-up of grimy port-a-loos - and you will transport me back to wonderful occasions of being excited yet anxious, waiting for runners to come in.

Ironman competition pushes the athletes and the watchers and waiters a lot further. As if the erratic live feed wasn't frustrating enough, last night my internet teased and taunted until 2am, coming and going at will. And then it disappeared. No, I wont say it! But thank goodness for daughters and text messages, keeping me in the picture for 10 hours and 28 minutes of competition - and then a little bit more.

Well done, CJ and Stevie, I was (kind-of) with you every stroke, pedal and step of the way! Today my pixellated eyes wont stay open either!

No comments: