13 March 2009

rich and warm

It has become my practice to spend 30 minutes a day following blog links to share time with other artists. This morning I found the blog of artist and therapist Lani Kent, a blog site so rich and warm.

What a great start to the day!

*****

It is several days since I painted. I am (mostly) over the withdrawal symptons, and suspect that I will get into a space where artmaking seems a long way away. When this happens I find it hard to get back on track again. (Should I have said "back on this particular track?") For this very reason I bought a book I have mentioned before, "Life, Paint and Passion - reclaiming the magic of spontaneous expression" by Cassau and Cubley.

I have just opened it at random, to a chapter heading "Don't trample the flowers". It is a short chapter, and the final sentence in it is "A gardener never tramples the flowers he has planted".

Taking that expression, thinking of art emails and conversations, I venture to say that if a painting is not appreciated for what it is, then maybe it hasn't found the right home. Don't trample the flowers but, if they are at risk or unappreciated where they are, move them to another part of the garden.

Remember that a weed is simply a plant growing in the "wrong" place.

I think, when I have completed my other work, it might be time to paint for process again.

What am I grateful for today? Later, be patient. I'll be back. It's still morning here and I right now I am grateful for endless cups of tea as I procrastinate.

*****

Today I am grateful for the stretchy black tape that enabled a temporary repair of a leaky join in my bathroom plumbing.
.

3 comments:

Feijoa said...

I am a weed. I'm in the wrong place with the right person. Trouble is, don't know where the right place is...
I like that you managed to get 9 out of 10 fingerprints! Well done! (-:

Kay said...

You like that there are only 9? I do, in a wierdly rebellious kind of way!

I guess you are in a waiting place for now, and when the time comes you will find the right place, or it will call you.

Sarah said...

I like that you find something everyday to be grateful for.
Maybe I will incorporate that policy into my life, too.
Because I am grateful for *so much*