24 March 2009

travel

This morning I searched for hotels in Florence for a friend. I am not much of a tourist myself, more of a home-body really. I like to go to one place and stay there. But as I looked at the options I couldn't help but marvel once again that I live in such a country.

Italy is home to around 60% of the world's art treasures. It is a financial struggle to maintain them all, and many simply must wait their turn for restoration. There is so much for me to see, so many places to go.

I am learning that I am not at all curious by nature, and am happy to leave all these treasures "undiscovered". I would rather paint watercolours in my hillside village than tread the pathways to the art treasures of the world. But, just sometimes, it is nice to peek outside into another part of life...

When I am here in the USA I look first at my daughter's wonderful art works, then at the place. You can't help but be hit by the size of everything. The home appliances are huge, the pick-up trucks so shiny and bright, the roads so wide and expansive. The shopping centres sprawl over acres of land while the beautifully proportioned banks stand so proudly on each elevated piece of prime real estate. And food portions? I order a salad or two side dishes instead of a main course, and struggle to get through the first of my huge drinks. Free refills? Completely wasted on me!

I love being here with my family, but I don't feel completely at home in this culture. My favourite part of this place is the architecture; beautiful large southern homes. And, oddly enough, the galleries hold more interest than older European ones, with artists like Dale Chihuly to marvel at... I guess I enjoy most the art I don't attempt to create myself.

Today I am grateful for the kindness and generosity of people, from the New Zealand travellers bringing Marmite and Kiwi gifts for my family to the very welcoming "American branch" of our family tree.

No comments: