15 March 2008

rural roots still a little attached

Anyone for a little Wairoa nostalgia? I found this site and couldn't resist spending some time there. Some real rural Kiwi humour, at www.nobullshit.co.nz

Perhaps I have two homes after all. Although he lived not too far away I don't know the author, but his stories brought back a few memories...

And this is the local tavern in the distance in my photo of Whakapunaki in the previous blog, my childhood next door neighbour, and no, despite growing up a few paddocks away, I was never allowed to go inside...

We were on a "party line", six private homes and the pub on one phone line. You knew who was ringing whom by the style of the ring as they turned the handle. When the Wairoa police were coming to "raid" the pub in the days of 6pm closing we would know, because the pub ring was always followed by the sound of cars leaving the pub in a hurry. That was entertaining, but for me it wasn't so funny that the whole neighbourhood knew when my boyfriend rang every Tuesday evening to arrange a Saturday date.

Gene Lambert until I figure out how to contact you I'll say it here. I enjoyed your site hugely! (You didn't expect me to stay at the computer getting past that bull did you? The sun is shining, and besides, I have to go eat now...)

Thanks from a MaruMaru girl!

No comments: