16 August 2009

relax...

Yesterday was the day that almost noone works. The cash machines are empty of cash. The shops are closed. The roads are almost empty. Italy has gone to the beach.

I took the day off too. It wasn't easy, in the midst of stuff, to do nothing. But it was good. A lesson in how to relax by a pool, listen to music, and do absolutely nothing!

A wise counsellor once advised me to stop being a "human doing", and start being a "human being". Sometimes, because it is easier to do than to be, I make the wrong choice.

I'm a slow learner, but I'll get there!

***

I was thinking... when we meet someone we tend to ask them what they do, where they are from, and, consciously or unconsciously, we make judgements accordingly. I wonder how we would respond if we had to say "who" (more in the sense of "what makes me the person I am") we are?

***

Today I am grateful for friends who pop in unannounced.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Woman . . .we certainly do think alike.

Do versus Be. Sinatra had something to say about that too . . . . . . .do be do be dooooo! ;-)

But, seriously, Being is way more than doing. As in, doing mother, versus being mother. There is a profound difference.

Funny you should mention one of my incredible peeves . . . .that is about answering the question "what do you do?" (what's your title so I can size you up?)

I have always wanted to answer with something like, "I tremble when I see brilliant colors together. I weep when I see beautiful things created by someone's mind and hand. I get excited when I feel a brush across paper or canvas. Why do you ask? What do YOU do?"

I have a feeling, Kay, we could talk for hours (weeks) on end!