16 August 2009

in time

Sometimes little things "tickle my fancy". I suspect that expression used so many years ago by my grandmother is open to all sorts of less innocent interpretation these days, but I am sticking to the simple meaning as I understood it 50 years ago. Yes, really, 50 years ago!

Age is a state of mind... (more on this in a minute). I sat down to check an arrival time in my emails and noticed that the village church clock was striking 12 noon. And the time on my computer? Exactly 12 noon. That has to be a first. (How easily I am distracted from the task in hand...! Yes I will meet that train).


This is the clock at work, hundreds of years on and still wound by hand every day (OK, most days then... other people get busy too!)

***

I have been reading more L J Adlington (novels for teenagers). I read the third novel, The Glittering Eye, first; that sent me back to the first one, The Diary of Pelly D. I couldn't put it down, and now I am dipping into the second one, Cherry Heaven. I liked this regarding age:
I didn't care if she was a thousand or ten thousand or a thousand thousand years old. stars are older than you can count, and they're still beautiful, aren't they?
Adlington, L.J. (2007)Cherry Heaven, p36. Hodder Children's Books, London.

So why am I reading novels for teenagers? Well, it's a little like studying a new language. In this ancient place full of layers of living it keeps me young... she said with what she hopes was a youthful, impish grin!

No comments: