19 February 2010

cicero, chick peas and bare foot running

A large part of my conversation with my dad yesterday was about running, as in competitive sport. Out with a shoulder injury for a few months, he has been thinking hard about his training routine and is excited about a few changes he has made. He is now studying the physiology of bare-foot running and practises his sprints bare foot.

In his athletic career, which began with the Rotorua Marathon at the age of 63, his first track races at the age of 71, he has been a wonderful inspiration. Not only is he a world champion, but he is also one of the most philosophical people I know. I think it's wonderful that after a few months of pain with injury, and approaching his 90th birthday, he can be so enthusiastic about trying new programmes, still learning how the body works and adapts.

How lucky are we, his children and grandchildren!

I was happy to find this quotation in my email inbox this morning. I don't think I agree with it entirely, but certainly I do think it has merit.
“It is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor.” -Marcus Tullius Cicero

Cicero was born not far from here, maybe a half-hour's drive through winding country roads in the very interesting town of Arpino. (Note in the photo in the link the very distinctive arch with no central keystone at the top).

This (mind/spirit and body) is an interesting topic, leading me in many directions. This Wikipedia entry for the Latin expression "Mens sana in corpore sano" suggests that all we should pray for is physical and mental health. That simplifies things wonderfully!

Exercise, good nutrition, and a philosophical approach to life. That's not a bad ideal, and certainly is keeping my Dad in good spirits no matter what life throws at him.

One of my favourite quotes is one I saw in a retirement home: "If you feel old age approaching, walk a little faster!" I'm sure that Dad will agree.

Today I am grateful for inspirational quotations.

No comments: