3 April 2008

growing pains

The bus stop is next to the house, and waiting children (and their parents) often call down to Zacchi or to me. Sometimes Zacchi goes up to sooth some tears or take me to practise Italian, but more often than not I am still in my nightgown when the bus comes these days. (Summer is coming, that must change!)

This morning a teenage friend called out to me as I opened the gate to let Zacchi and Queenie play. The last time he visited I noticed he had lost his puppy fat and was talking in another tone. This morning I had to look up to see who it was greeting me. His voice has broken and I didn't recognise it.

Time passes.
Life goes on.
Things change whether we want them to or not.

Zacchi is discovering that. Queenie has grown quickly. She is powerful and headstrong, and still a bouncy puppy. She is too much for poor Zacchi. After a little playing he runs home, begs to be let inside, and collapses behind my chair or beside the bed. He is the faster runner.

Thank goodness for that, says Zacchi.
.

No comments: