14 March 2010

alphatudes

Quite some time ago I accepted an offer to review a book. I enjoy reading, writing, and the subject was one close to my heart. How hard could this be?

It duly arrived by post, in perfect condition. In a spare moment I opened it, enjoyed the beauty of the pages, read a few of the quotations, and put it aside to give it my full attention one evening. At 112 pages it's not such a large book, and the many beautiful illustrations give plenty of reflective time to complement the reading time.

The first evening I read the preface and introduction thoroughly. Full of well supported and useful advice, I was already giving this book a high rating. In the introduction was a very nice summary of many of the theories we see expanded in other writing, and a general guide for applying these on a daily basis to our lives. For this alone I was happy to have the book. Then, as I read further, I completely forgot my critical purpose. I worked my way into the alphatudes, and fell asleep contentedly. This happened on another two occasions.

This afternoon I decided that this was a daytime task, and one I would cross off my list today. What happened? By the end of my cup of tea I was fully immersed again, relating this to my life, not critically evaluating at all. Pencil and paper lay untouched beside me.

***

alphatudes
the alphabet of gratitude
Author: Michele Wahlder
Publisher: Life Possibilities Publishing, Dallas, 2010.
.
Author and life coach Michele Wahlder takes us through the alphabet, giving a quality or concept, quotation, beautiful double-spread full colour image, a prayer and a page of thought-provoking text for each letter. By promoting an attitude of gratitude and making counting one's blessings a habit, the reader is encouraged to celebrate joy, identify emotions, and make positive choices.


One could be forgiven for thinking that the term "alphatude" is a little prosaic, but that is merely my opinion and certainly not a problem with the content of the book. It is, in fact, a useful reminder; can't sleep? Then you probably haven't done your "alphatude"! It is impossible to progress though the alphabet with an attitude of gratitude without feeling spirits rise and having a feeling of pleasure and peace replace the stresses of a busy day.

The sub-text on the cover reads "26 Solutions for Life's Little Challenges". It is certainly a delightful way to approach these, particularly as you reflect on them at the end of the day.

I would love to pass my copy of this lovely book along, to share with family and friends, but for now it is going back right where it is needed most, on my bedside table.

***

Today I am also grateful for this lovely book currently on my computer desk. (There, I did manage to stay on task!)

2 comments:

Sophia Elise said...

I agree Kay - fabulous book! BEautiful - easy to read - and easy to put into action. I too have used it in times of sleeplessness - and my kids have adopted the alphatudes in their life too :-) It's a fun game to play in the car on long trips!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the well-written, thoughtful and insightful review! You are so very APPRECIATED...

With gratitude,
Michele
PS - we play the Alphatudes Game with my step-daughter on trips and just for fun anytime.