30 December 2009

on-line community

Part of my art practice is to blog... or perhaps I should say, to explore other artist's blogs. I am afraid that my blog doesn't really qualify as an artist's blog, except that it is my blog and I am an artist.

The new year resolutions blogs are inspiring. I am going to link to a few here, and add to this post later. And then, maybe, I'll share my resolutions when I make them.

Katherine Cartwright has painted some fabulous eggshell works that I wish I had painted myself. I am a fan on the strength of those works alone. Those works inspired a tiny video I made but have yet to share. Her post for the New Year has a wonderful collection of links to follow, acknowledging other artists who share their work, teaching and learning, on line.

Myrna Wacknov is a dedicated blogger and a generous teacher; her blog is well worth following whether you paint in the same manner or not. The same can be said for Mike Bailey, and his recent post, Breakthrough watercolour, while not specifically for the new year, has a wonderful summary of what goes into a painting.

Now breakfast, and then work calls me, computer time is over.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kay, Thank you for the "nod". I'm happy to learn that you enjoy my eggshell paintings. The name of the series is "Fragility". It is an ongoing series of paintings that utilizes fractured eggshells as a metaphor for the effects of pressure upon life, the human psyche, and our investments. After it has been cracked, the shell cannot be restored to its initial pristine structural state and fragmentation is the result. As psychological portraits, each painting in this series relies upon the transformation of ordinary eggshell fragments into a single complete entity that possesses a unique personality or mood. This is achieved by imposing a highly chromatic design onto the arrangement, and creating directional focus that, in some instances, adds the time dimension. Luminosity is the desired effect in most of these paintings because it implies a life-force which is the essence of the new entity that emerged from the fragments. The majority of the fifty paintings in this series are watercolor on paper in order to enhance the luminous quality of the work. It's been fun to experiment with these.