18 December 2009

11 a day is not easy

Today is the first day of "accountability". I have been home for two full days, and have slept enough to say that any jet-lag is over. That I woke at 5am does make me doubt that a little, but I feel fine! Maybe it was just the neighbour's over-enthusiastic rooster that helped get me up and about so early - it is still dark, and he has been crowing since 3am! Christmas dinner, maybe?

Feeling confident I stepped on the scales. Shock, horror! Dad's cooking was too good. I put on 2 kilos in New Zealand. AFTER the doctor had told me that my knees would appreciate it if I lost some weight.

The new regime is 11 a day (click for Harvard report) ... servings of fruit and veges that is. Maybe it should be 11 kilometres a day! It is not yet 7am and I have eaten three servings already. Luckily the trees are loaded with mandarines and oranges, but I think a better balance is called for. Maybe I should start with prunes...

I was enjoying my vegetarian meals and lots of fruit and veges with my vegetarian and health conscious crew, and was beginning to feel more energetic and alive. A change of diet eating with guests (while still eating healthily) brought a noticeable drop in energy levels. Now I eat to improve my health, not to indulge in treats just because I can. How hard can it be, staying off coffee and wine in Italy?

Today I am grateful for two little doggies who take me walking.

No comments: